Celi newb.

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
KuntaKimchi

Celi newb.

Post by KuntaKimchi »

What's up everybody. Names Brian. New owner of a 73 celica. Picked it up about a week ago for 600 and its pretty much a pile of junk. I'll post pictures up later.

The motor I got in the car (18rc) is in pieces and doesn't look like it's gonna run anytime soon so I've been thinking about swapping it. I want to go 18rg but from what I've been reading it's hard to come across the motor. So started looking into 22r (20r) but haven't found to much information on the swap. Everybody makes it sound like you put the heads on the 22r and go. Anybody got a write up on it? Anybody know where I can source these motors for a decent price (18rg, 22r, 20r)?

Thanks for any help. The car needs alot of work so I'll for sure be hitting you guys up for parts. Anybody in Sacramento? Holler!
spacecowboyian

Re: Celi newb.

Post by spacecowboyian »

18rg = rare and expensive. High compression. Revs hard and high but you've gotta run some seriously high octane gas if you want to keep your foot in it.
20r = kind of rare and not worth the hassle. Parts are harder to come by.
22r or 22re = cheap and put in at least one vehicle in Toyota's lineup from 1981-1995. Came in Celicas from 81-85 with fuel injection starting in 82 (22RE) Low revving, high torque. I'm partial to this setup because it can be pretty cheap to do. There's a 22re on an engine stand in my garage right now waiting for a rebuild. Will be set down in my 74 sometime early next year.

There's also a frankenstein 22r block with a 20r head that a lot of guys do. Produces higher revs. More compression.

You need to use the search box at the top of the site and search for "engine swap" or "swap" and then search 18rg and 22r individually. There's plenty of good posts on the topic.
KuntaKimchi

Post by KuntaKimchi »

Thanks for the reply and for the info. I used the search box a bunch of times and pretty much got exactly what you said...which is great but i guess I was looking for more specific stuff like wiring, mounts, or whatever else it takes to put these motors in a celica. That's why I was asking if there was any write ups on these swaps.
spacecowboyian

Post by spacecowboyian »

Wiring I don't know but mounts it generally takes either custom fabrication to move them out on the current crossmember or you can try and find a 75 crossmember that will bolt in and have the proper mounts. I'm still unclear on the hood clearance issues myself. I think the 75 crossmember lets you get a 22r in without a 75 hood but I could be wrong.
KuntaKimchi

Post by KuntaKimchi »

Sweet. That's more of what I was lookin for. I heard about having to switch crossmembers but not for the 22r. Sounds like alot of work still. Think I should just try to get the 18rc running?